Prompt: Consider the poems about roses (pages 887-889), and write a paragraph about each poem showing how it establishes specific symbolism for the rose. What generalizations can you draw about the rose’s traditional meanings in poetry? If you can, find other poems about roses outside of this textbook to determine if your generalizations still apply. Make sure you have at thesis to tie all three paragraphs together.
Your postings will be reviewed according to the following criteria:
- Writing well-developed paragraphs relevant to the prompt(s) (minimum 300 words).
- Be sure that your thesis is explicit and supported with one to two quotations from the literature.
- Do not write in the first or second person.
- Replying to two of your classmates with meaningful responses with a minimum of 30 words (do not simply write “I agree. I like what you’ve written.”)
- When you include a quotation from the literature in your mini-essay, please place an in-text citation (also called a parenthetical citation) immediately after you close the quotation marks and before you place a period at the end of your sentence. That way, anyone in the class (including me!) can easily find the quotation in the literature if necessary. If you’re not sure what to place inside the parentheses, there is instruction in the textbook in Chapter 34- Quotation, Citation, and Documentation.
- When you include in-text citations, there must be a Works Cited listing at the bottom of your post.
- Be sure to follow the “Quote Sandwich” when you insert quotations.