In the Final Project for this course, due by Day 7 of Week 11, you will demonstrate your understanding of—as well as apply and critically evaluate—the major concepts presented in this course.
For your Final Project, you apply concepts and theories presented in the course to develop a homeland security plan for the state or region in which you reside.
Your Final Project must be presented as a 6-page (not including references, title page, or abstract), double-spaced, APA-formatted project in the form of a paper that is submitted by Day 7 of Week 11. See Week 11 for specific instructions for submission.
In your Final Project:
- Identify the state or region in which you currently reside. (state: Arkansas)
- Describe at least three threats or hazards that might affect your state or region.
- Explain the degree to which your state or region is at risk and vulnerable to the threats or hazards.
- Explain whether you would or would not support the use of a per capita funding formula for federal homeland security preparedness grant funding for your state or region. Justify your decision.
- Describe the roles and responsibilities of your state and local agencies in homeland security efforts.
- Describe your state or region’s reliance on the federal government for assistance with homeland security efforts.
- Describe specific elements you would include in contingency planning for terrorist events or other hazards that might affect your state or region. Be sure to explain why you would include each element.
- Explain the collaboration and communication that would and should occur between your state, local, federal, and regional agencies in homeland security efforts.
- Describe at least three challenges related to information sharing and establishing interoperable communications among your local and state agencies and federal agencies. Then explain the implications of each challenge on your state or region and how you might address the challenges.
- Explain the role of technology in homeland security efforts in your state or region.
- Explain ethical and legal implications of homeland security policies on your state or region and how you would address them.
You may wish to use the above bulleted items as the basis for topic headings throughout your paper.
The Final Project will be evaluated according to all four indicators in the Assignment and Final Paper Writing Rubric located in the Course Info area. Be sure that the Final Project is written using APA format.