- “My Papa’s Waltz” by Theodore Roethke
- “Living in Sin” by Adrienne Rich
- “Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening” by Robert Frost
- “Autumn” by Amy Lowell
- “Autumn” by William Carlos Williams
- “This is Just to Say” by William Carlos Williams
- “To a Poor Old Woman” by William Carlos Williams
- “Aunt Jennifer’s Tigers” by Adrienne Rich
Pick one of poem above.
Find at least two images and/or symbols within the poem.
Write a 200 word one-paragraph analysis of the poem’s use of imagery and/or symbolism. Your analysis should include a topic sentence, examples from the poem, internal citations, and analysis. Do not consult any outside sources for this assignment, which should be submitted as an attached Word document in MLA format. Include the name of the poem and poet.
Remember that an analysis of literary elements includes your explaining what they mean and why they are important. If, for example, you have identified a door as a symbol, be sure to explain how it is used in the poem, what it symbolizes, and how it relates to the poem’s overall meaning. Include quotes from the poem, but rely mostly on your own analysis of how and why the poet used the symbol.
Topic sentence template: “Poem ABC” by Poet Lady uses _____________ (imagery or symbolism) to convey the ____________ (idea, feeling, or concept) of _____________.