Documented Literary Analysis
Topic: Nel and Sula’s friendship is central in the novel. What role does this friendship play in Nel and Sula’s lives and what point is Morrison making about the role of life-long friendships in the formation of identity?
The literary analysis should be between 2 1⁄2 and 3 pages (600 to 750 words), not including the Works Cited page, should be double spaced in Times New Roman 12- point font and must include:
- A clearly articulated thesis that states, somewhere in your introduction, the assertion (position, interpretation) that your paper will prove
- An introduction, a minimum of 3 body paragraphs, and a conclusion
- At least two quotes from the novel itself that are integrated into your discussion
- At least two citations of outside sources (such as literary criticism on the novel, preferably from articles from the MDC databases)
- Topic sentences that focus the discussion in the body paragraphs
- Examples, details, explanations in the body paragraphs that clearly support
- Clear connections between ideas from paragraph to paragraph and within
- Proper MLA style format in the heading, in the in-text citations, and in the
Works Cited page
- Works Cited page includes articles from two sources and from the novel for a
minimum of three total listed sources
- Standard usage, grammar, and mechanics.