Paper 2: Comparative Analysis
Write an essay of approximately 3 pages (750 words) in which you will compare and contrast TWO novels from the following:
“Ragged Dick” “A Little Princess” “The Prince & The Pauper”
Your main job is to show important similarities and/or differences between the two stories. You may focus on one or more of the different literary and style elements we have discussed.
Your essay must have:
1. An introduction that clearly refers to both texts. Include the title, author and illustrator (if applicable) of each novel. Your introduction should not be a summary of the story or stories. Rather, you must look for unifying ideas or connections that you can make in order to hold your introduction together – so that it doesn’t read like two separate introductions.
2. A complex thesis, which mentions the points of comparison. This will provide a road map that you can follow for the rest of your paper.
3. Three specific points of comparison between the texts. Each main point will be developed in a separate body paragraph.
4. You may focus on similarities, differences, or both. DO NOT try to cover all the literary elements. Pick no more than three points of comparison.
5. Be sure to make clear references to the text being analyzed. You may quote, paraphrase, or simply refer to specific events in your story.
6. Be sure to proofread carefully for grammar and language since these are an important part of your grade.
Note: This assignment does not require research. It is based on your personal analysis. Please DO NOT use outside sources.