Please read “Guide to Fences ” , Part I: The Play. Part I is broken down into “Wilson Play Like Listening to the Blues,” “Fences Extended Family,” “Wilson’s Introduction to Fences,” “Synopsis: A Scene by Scene Breakdown,” and “Setting.”
Part I will provide:
- a brief overview of the play and the context in which it had been written.
- introduce you to the central character, Troy Maxson, and the other characters in the play
- August Wilson’s introduction to his play.
- how the play is broken down into Act 1 (4 scenes) and Act II (5 scenes).
- provide information about the setting
- Please Answer on the following question: 1. In Part I “Wilson Play Like Listening to the Blues,” what ideas did you find particularly significant or revealing? How do you think learning about this will provide you with a more in-depth understanding of the play?