Choose two excerpts of a concert, one of a pop or rock concert from modern times and one of a performance of Baroque music. (The Baroque performance would by necessity be a performance of Baroque music performed in modern times.)
You may pick from the following YouTube recordings for the Baroque piece:
- Johann Sebastian Bach, “6 Suites for Unaccompanied Cello” https://youtu.be/1prweT95Mo0?list=PLIxUq0CwyVLGSCBQt7hgVnKkhxjgUwchW
- Johann Sebastian Bach, “Brandenburg Concertos” https://youtu.be/G6hQvvhqfJo
- Antonio Vivaldi, “Four Seasons” https://youtu.be/ZPdk5GaIDjo
- Georg Fredrich Handel, “Hallelujah” chorus from “Messiah” https://youtu.be/VI6dsMeABpU
- Dominico Scarlatti, “Essercizi per Gravicembalo”, k. 27 (Sonatas for Harpsichord) https://youtu.be/yKkb9H9Sy6o
- Arcangelo Corelli, “Concerti Grosso, Op. 6, No.8-Christmas Concerto” https://youtu.be/Gy2PNewPcXM
- George Philipp Telemann, “F minor sonata for bassoon, TWV 41f1” https://youtu.be/afudKfX_4Ys
- Tomaso Albinoni, “Adagio for Strings and Organ in G Minor” https://youtu.be/1JXeoZpMnNc
- Jean-Joseph Mouret, “Rondeau (Sinfonies de Fanfare in D Major)
- Johann Pachelbel, “Canon in D” https://youtu.be/JvNQLJ1_HQ0
- Henry Purcell, “The Fairy Queen” https://youtu.be/K7AbzbN-MqA?list=PLIxUq0CwyVLGSCB
In terms of pop/rock music, the choice is yours, but you must be able to not only identify the performer(s) but also the musical selections that you are listening to. If the YouTube video is long, then please provide me with the time stamp of where your selection begins.
Each excerpt should be approximately 10 minutes in length.
After viewing the concert excerpts, construct a comparison of these two concerts and address the following:
1. Explain why you did or did not enjoy the concerts.
2. Evaluate similarities and differences between music in the Baroque era and modern times. Be sure to use the musical terms we’ve been learning in Chapter 1 of our e-text. Your discussion should be specific to the pieces that you’ve listened to.
3. Discuss the types of people who attended concerts in the Baroque era and modern times, and why people attended concerts in the Baroque era versus today.
4. Analyze how new technologies, such as digital media and the internet, change the ways music is experienced.
This paper should be 750-1000 words in length. This assignment should reflect knowledge and understanding of the course materials. Points should be supported by specific information from scholarly sources and musical terminology should be used to express ideas. This paper should be written in paragraph form using complete sentences with a clear introduction and conclusion. Be sure to reference both concerts in the introduction and conclusion.
In addition to these elements, please be sure to fulfill the Requirements for Writing Assignments (see below), including citing all sources (including the concerts) both in the body of the text and in a reference page. Please note that MLA is the standard citation style in the humanities. Here are some good sources of information for Evaluating Online Resources, Citing Sources, and Writing & Grammar Resources. The video links for the concerts should be cited in the body of the text and in your reference page.
Here are some resources to find Baroque music concerts online or live concerts in your area. Internet searches are another way to find live Baroque music where you live.
Keeping Score, San Francisco Symphony